- fair game
- nouna person who is the aim of an attack (especially a victim of ridicule or exploitation) by some hostile person or influence-
he fell prey to muggers-
everyone was fair game-
the target of a manhunt• Hypernyms: ↑victim
* * *a legitimate or likely object of attack, mockery, etc.: With his fat, round face, the politician was fair game for the cartoonists.[1795-1805]
* * *fair game nounA legitimate object for attack or ridicule• • •Main Entry: ↑fair
* * *fair game UK US noun [uncountable]someone or something that it is fair to criticize or attack
The media see politicians as fair game.Thesaurus: someone or something who is blamed or accusedsynonym
* * *fair game,1. animals or birds that it is lawful to hunt.2. Figurative. a suitable object of pursuit or attack: »
The bully thought I was fair game. Government departments and national marketing boards generally are considered fair game by both members of the Opposition and private humorists (Manchester Guardian).
* * *n. a person or thing that is considered a reasonable target for criticism, exploitation, or attack
* * *noun [noncount]: someone or something that can be chased, attacked, or criticized
Celebrities are fair game for the tabloids.
The tourists were fair game for the pickpockets.
Even her retirement savings were fair game for her creditors.
* * *if a person or thing is said to be fair game, it is considered acceptable to play jokes on them, criticize them, etc
The younger teachers were considered fair game by most of the kids.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.